Thursday 13 September 2012

Caring staff

Today I had an interesting meeting with a member of staff to talk about how they supervise people.  What struck me today was the amount this officer cares and invests in the lives of the people she works with.  This is not a surprise at all, I’ve seen it everyday with my colleagues, but I think that it is easy to forget this when there is so much focus on procedure and targets.


Caring is important, but there also need to be skills to support change.  Without quoting research or complex techniques, I was given a comprehensive description of how she builds relationships and develops trust.  Listening, being patient, consistency, fairness all contributing to helping develop relationships.

A concern that I am hearing all too frequently is the reduction in support from external agencies.  The research shows that there need to be opportunities and social capital if desistance is to be supported.  These are testing economic times and maybe as practitioners we need to look even more creatively into the communities where we work to access support.  I’m not sure how we would do this, but it could be valuable to explore.

An interesting point raised today was how do we develop our supervision practice?  The one to one work with those supervised by Probation is, in reality, quite a closed off experience.  It was suggested to me that more time could be spent on case discussions with colleagues to help us all develop our practice, instead of using our same tools.  I think that this can be a valuable way to think creatively and to try new approaches.

Really interesting discussions and I can’t wait to have more of them.  I’m learning so much from talking to colleagues and I can already see how it is going to give me ideas to develop my own practice.  Fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment