Thursday 21 February 2013

Final "official" blog of a Desistance Development Officer

Today is the last official day in my role as Desistance Development Officer for Avon and Somerset Probation Trust (ASPT).
  For me it marks the end of much reading, research, writing and talking about desistance.  Officially anyway.  In undertaking this role I have learnt so much that I can carry on into my practice, so it’s no surprise that I’m going to continue to read, research, write and certainly talk about desistance.  However, I’m going to need a different blog title!

I was trying to write a post that encompasses everything that I’ve learnt.  However, it quickly became apparent that I’m unable to do that because I’ve just learnt, and keep learning far too much to be contained in one post.  So instead, I’m going to speak very generally.

I’ve spoken directly with desisters and in hearing their words I’ve been saddened, impressed, and inspired by what they have said.  It’s truly remarkable how individuals can make such significant changes when they have faced so many obstacles.  There is so much more that can be learnt from people with convictions, just by asking them.  Of course I was in a role where I wasn’t responsible for the supervision, which could mean that there was a more open dialogue, or it could be that as I was mainly speaking with desisters that they were more able to offer insight.  However, I think that there is much to be learnt from asking simple questions and taking the time to understand an individual’s story and how they got where they are.

I’ve listened to many people in different roles describing that they already use the desistance research and principles in their work.  Of course this is the case because these principles share a similar value base as Social Work.  However, in recent years there has been a shifted focus towards a more correctional and mechanistic approach which may frustrate desistance.  Furthermore, I’m told that the previous limited structure or consistency in areas of the work was also less effective.  One of the things I’ve learnt most from my role, is the importance of balance between these approaches.  There needs to be a consistency in terms of expectations for individuals, for instance in the levels of contact or the possible implications from breach action, but approaches must be individualised, there must be a focus on the relationship and there must be the opportunities to make changes.

Since speaking with different teams in ASPT and also in making recommendations, I’ve witnessed the conscious incorporation of desistance research and principles into practice.  This isn’t to say that the approaches were not being used, but having desistance in mind, this seems to be supporting how effective desistance sensitive decisions are being made.  What’s also interesting about this increased awareness is that the desistance research seems to inspire interest and motivation in many staff and service users alike.  Given these testing times for everyone, I think that this is a hugely positive aspect of desistance research which should not be ignored.

So, in my final blog as Desistance Development Officer, I will end by writing that I hope that people will continue, as I’ve witnessed, to think creatively, and continue to support the desistance process using the skills that they are already highly proficient in.

No comments:

Post a Comment